Saturday, March 19, 2011

First Blog

Hello, my name is Ryan and this is my new blog.
 Okay I suppose that's one way to start this off. I used to have a blog a few years back with some other service, and I found it to be incredibly fun even though only about three people read whatever I wrote. Why did I stop? The service that I was using ... stopped. Whether it was due to a lack of funding, users, or some personal matters, it was taken down. I didn't immediately try again because things started happening in my life, not necessarily good things or opportunities or anything like that, just things. I'm actually quite hard-pressed to remember what they are.
My First Blog


Recently the idea began popping into my head again. It's a cool thought that people may actually find what you blog about interesting and "follow" it. I also keep a private journal (which I don't update often enough) and I've always been interested in the response I would get if I made some of my thoughts or life events public. Still I wasn't certain that blogging was something I should be using my time for.

Then a week ago I went to go see a Career Counselor at my school in hopes of figuring out what I want to do with my life and my interest in English above any other school subject, and among more helpful suggestions was that I should write a blog. "People will read it" my counselor assured me "and it's a good way to get your voice out there and get noticed", and while my first thought was "easy for you to say, you have a position of status, people have to read your blog to figure things out. Who's to say anyone wants to know what's going on in my life?"
I reconsidered after she told me a success story of a friend of hers who started as a blogger who got noticed and now works full-time making a monthly newsletter with his wife "and he's doing quite well for himself" she finished. This was the icing on the cake; everyone assumes that any person with a degree in English will inevitably be broke and hungry while trying to scrounge enough money from recycled cans to pay the last month's rent, and here was proof to the contrary.

So maybe I have high hopes and low expectations, but isn't that what a lot of great achievers start out with? A dream with a lack of confidence?

I don't know exactly what I'll write about. I don't even know if I'll keep this up in the long-term. All I know is that I have a passion for three things: talking until my throat is soar, keeping a record of my thoughts, and a certain someone who supports and loves me in spite of the former two.

This is my life ... blogged.
-Ryan

No comments: