Thursday, May 23, 2013

Presenting Myself

I graduated college this past Saturday, and had my first interview today.

Who wouldn't want to hire
someone this dashing?
The timing is impeccable, especially since positions specifically in copywriting are pretty scarce in my area for someone with no real-world experience, and my parents got me a new suit as a graduation gift. As luck would have it, this particular company is looking to expand their marketing department, and part of that means finding a copywriting intern. This is where I come in.

Honestly I was pretty nervous for the interview, since it would be my first time interviewing for the position I've been dreaming of since I started working towards an advertising major. I didn't know how serious the interviewers would be or if I'd make a good impression. To prepare myself I researched the company to the best of my ability, then searched for common interview questions which I copied to a document and answered one by one as practice.

It's too soon to say whether the preparation paid off, but I can honestly say that I left the interview feeling very confident. In retrospect there were a few questions that I'm not sure I answered as best as I could (though that could be me over-thinking it), but overall I feel like the two interviewers were genuinely excited to meet me and happy that they did. I sure was happy just to have the opportunity, and as one of them explained in what direction the company was heading, I honestly got excited to the point of thinking "I need to work here. I need to be here for this."

Luckily enough, I get to meet with them again, as they've requested that I complete a little homework assignment for them and meet next week to talk about it. At the very least this means that I get another chance to give them an idea for how excited I am to be a part of the company and how ready for it I am.
I honestly can't wait.

Thanks for the support, and I'll keep you all posted on how it goes!
-Ryan

No comments: