Monday, October 6, 2014

Unexpected Perks of Employment

I must say that I am enjoying my new job very much. The people are friendly, appreciative, and helpful, and I enjoy the work itself. However one of my favorite things about my new place of employment is something totally unrelated to the job itself.

At my internship there was a small group of employees who would spend their lunch break going for a walk a few times around the building for the sake of getting out of the office, enjoying the weather, staying in shape, and socializing. I joined this group, and when I was transferred to another building a few blocks down the road I kept the habit despite being alone most of the time, which ended up being part of the reason that I lost over ten pounds in time for my wedding.

So when I started at my new job (and found out I had an even longer lunch break than I was used to), I made sure on the first day to go for a walk to get the lay of the land. I noticed a park not too far down the road, and later realized that there is a 26 mile trail that runs right past my office.
I've been taking a walk on this trail every day. Walking in either direction from my office is about 1.2 miles to the next major street. One way leads to downtown, which is scenic and beautiful in a residential and urban sort of way, and the other way is full of foliage that blocks out all the urban noise.

It's the unexpected surprises like this that really add make life just a little bit easier to live. The work itself has been great thus far, but I know that if I'm having a bad day I'll always have a place where I can go and get away.

Now let's see if walking a bit longer helps me lose some more weight...
-Ryan

No comments: