Saturday, March 15, 2014

Dream Diary: Future Drugs & Conjoined Twins

I've enjoyed making this blog more of a public journal than a platform for topical articles on writing. On that note, I'll be describing odd/interesting dreams I have as I remember them in addition to my usual posts.

I had a very interesting dream this past night. It was actually two very different dreams that organically flowed into each other, as dreams sometimes do, and I'm going to try to describe them both to you.

For context, my fiancée and I have recently discovered that she has fibromyalgia. It wasn't a huge shock, as it actually made a lot of things make sense as far as the persistent pain that she was experiencing and other symptoms, but having a label on it has added a bit more stress to our lives.

In the first dream, my fiancée and I were in a city sometime in the future. It resembled the world of the show Almost Human; tall, shiny buildings in the sky with dirty slums down below. She and I were "undercover" working for a drug lord, with the actual intention of getting our hands on some drug that would cure my fiancée's fibromyalgia. When he was away from his hideout, we went in and grabbed all we could (for whatever reason, future drugs resemble small see-through plastic chips), but were discovered by one of the drug lord's dealers, who proceeded to attack us with a baseball bat.

I fought him off, and ended up killing him with his own weapon. My fiancée and I then proceeded to throw tables around and knock everything over in an attempt to make it appear like a smash-and-grab gone wrong. With the medication she needed in her knapsack, we ran out of there as quickly as possible.

And then the second dream started. I don't remember any sort of transition, it just happened.

I was in the even further future, but instead of bright, shiny buildings, everything was dark. For some reason, everyone in this world was born as a conjoined twin (although not identical to their brother/sister, and always with the same gender), joined to each other's side. I recall that every individual had two legs (a total of four as would be "normal") but neither had an arm on the side where they joined with the other. I don't remember very much actually happening in this dream, except that it was somehow important that we'd discovered conjoined twins that were actually identical (and may have looked like Ewan McGregor). I remember having the sense that this was important, and that they perhaps had some sort of magical powers as a result. It turned out that the Ewan's had happened upon a female pair that were also identical, which, for whatever reason, made the event even more important.

That dream was more of a social experience, with me experiencing the oddity of the dating world when everyone is attached to their sibling (and thus it is challenging to find romantic/sexual partners for both of you), as well as performing in some sort of stage production of the movie Titanic as two Jacks.

A bit odd? Yes. But quite fun to experience.
-Ryan

No comments: